Signs of a RelationSHIT
Whether it be with a significant other, a friend, a family member, a coworker, or whoever.
- •People only seeking you out when they need something.Which I have felt increasingly as people's intentions ever since I became a psych major in 2010.
- •Seriously, I can't count the number of "friends" that seek me out to vent to and to problem solve for them.And then don't even give me the courtesy of returning a simple text message.
- •One sided conversations are really gross.One sided conversations I hate the most.
- •And I struggle with these people because I am legitimately interested in what they have to say and I love to hear people talk.But part of any good relationship is taking turns speaking and listening. So many people don't even let me get a word in, or just skim around whatever I try to say with a lame response, and idk if it's because I'm not assertive enough or just because they're too egocentric.
- •I also feel that taking turns making decisions is important.But any time I try to organize the plans or want to chose what to do, I get shot down. But I'm expected to follow along with what everyone else wants to do without question.
- •And when I choose not to participate because I don't like the activity or simply don't feel like it, I'm frowned upon.Because the people I hang out with don't value individuality or spending time away from the group.
- •It's especially difficult to defend myself when my boyfriend doesn't share, or understand, my mentality.Because I am very introverted. This doesn't mean I don't like people or am anti social. But I do have limits that I reach quickly and prefer to spend time by myself regularly. I've also worked very hard to not feel bad about myself for wanting to choose not to participate in a group activity.
- •And even though I get so overwhelmed, I try to stay positive.Because my best friend of 16 years, who I have the best relationship with out of anyone in my life, does understand, and she does her best to support me. And for that I am so thankful.