Things I have learned teaching in South Central
I teach high school to Latino kids in South Central LA. I am Jon Snow. I know a lot less than I thought I did. After 3 years, I still have plenty more to learn.
- •Being smart and being literate are not the same thing.
- •The 4 food groups are: Hot Cheetos, gummy worms in tamarind paste, Tapatio, and tamales.
- •Anything Drake does or says is indisputably cool.
- •Pencils and maxi pads are not something every family can afford.
- •There are many ways to be poor and trust is the rarest currency there is.
- •The tears in your classroom might be yours.
- •If you wait long enough, your own high school wardrobe will eventually walk back through your classroom door.
- •Spanish is something we should all learn.
- •This list is on-going. Check back for more.