LESSONS LEARNED IN ROOM 9
They will stay with me forever
- •Vulcanizing rubber happened by accidentWhile just a fun fact about Goodyear, it became a mantra that was repeated many times. It reminded me that good things come when you least expect it.
- •Bulla means hello in Fijian, but is also a type of festering wartThis we took literally, but I'm sure there is a metaphor in there somewhere.
- •Investing in the stock market is a meaningless gameThe people who didn't work hard were often the people who won. While not the most positive lesson, it remains relevant.
- •The craziest people are the most brilliantCharlie Sheen is one hell of a poet
- •Love is on its wayThis lesson came directly from her real life experience. She dated a boy for 10 WHOLE YEARS and then broke up with him, went to Italy, and found her soulmate
- •13 year olds aren't supposed to know the meaning of lifeWendy Mass is a terrible author. I learned this after reading a book in which a boy my age finds the meaning of life and determining that that was BS. I can't help but feel that was the lesson all along.
- •When we lock things away, we are really imprisoning ourselves.This hippie nonsense about lockers in school has stayed with me as a reminder that it's ok to have feelings.
- •We're girls.It's a fact. We should not have to deny it to seem strong. We should be able to be both.
- •Scissors are not an effective tool for opening trap doorsYou'll probably just break the scissors
- •The words "barrage" and "flotsam and jetsam" look really good written on the wall in bright green sharpieYou may paint over the words but you can't paint over the memory
- •Crying is a very normal thingSometimes people cry in their job interview and still get the job. It happens.
- •Tea is delightfulEspecially when it's fruity and served when you're supposed to be in a class.
- •Everyone's dreams are validEven if someone's screamo band is really bad, they have the right to love what they're doing.
- •All knowledge is important knowledgeEven knowledge of Harry Potter and Presidents. Especially knowledge of Harry Potter and Presidents.
- •Being a part of something special makes you specialIn room 9 everyone was special. Everyone was valid. Everyone was important.
- •Every day in that classroom taught me something. It was my home.