PLAYWRIGHTS I WANT TO KNOW, AND WHY
Thanks for the request @shanaz! Most of these playwrights are from the Kilroys list, which I highly recommend looking up. You may notice a pattern.
- •Annie BakerShe wrote 'The Flick'. I heard her on the WTF With Marc Maron podcast, and think that she comes at her writing in an interesting way.
- •Amy Herzog'4000 Miles' was a beautiful exploration of grief, something I've been thinking about a lot lately.
- •Dipika GuhaShe's on the Kilroys list, but has also been mentioned a number of times in various theater podcasts that I listen to. She's getting her first production in NYC this season for her show 'Mechanics Of Love'
- •Tori Keenan-ZeltFrom the Kilroys list. One of her plays is a riff on Much Ado that involves Xena: Warrior Princess. Do I need to say more?!?
- •Clare BarronIn 'Dance Nation' an army of pre-teen dancers plot to take over the world. Yes, please. I want to know more about this writer.
- •Claire KiechelHer most recent play, 'Pilgrims', is a little bit sci-fi. I'm excited to know more.
- •Gia MarottaFrom the Kilroys list. Her latest deals with grief & family secrets. She's also done work having to do with HIV & AIDS which I find interesting.
- •Rachel Bonds'Firecracker' has a little Southern Gothic flavor, but modern. Also from the Kilroys list.
- •Aditi Brennan KapilA play trilogy where Hindu gods are displaced into modern immigrants to the West dealing with displacement & post-colonialism? Uh-huh! Plus, her current play 'Orange' is about an Autistic woman in Orange County.
- •Callie Kimball'Lucrece and the Two Janes' is based on Shakespeare's The Rape of Lucrece. 'May 39th' is about dating 1000 years from now. In 'Alligator Road' the retiring owner of a hardware store yarn bombs all of her products before handing the store over to its new owner. Yes, Yes, & Yes!
- •Bess Wohl'Small Mouth Sounds' has almost no dialogue, the audience gets the plot from the physical acting. This sounds like a challenging show! She also wrote the book for 'Pretty Filthy' a musical about Porn actors. 😍
- •Erin CourtneyHer most recent 'I Will Be Gone' deals with grief and holding on.
- •I'll probably add more to this!
- •Sheila CallaghanPer @lizabeth