CAPE TOWN SCENIC DRIVES
- •Bainskloof passThis pass was built by prisoners in the 1860s. Being built by prisoners makes you feel a tad less guilty about how much of a pain it must have been to build. Until you think about what was a crime in the 1860s and whether you would have been one of them. Awesome views of Paarl and at the midpoint there is a campsite with a swimming hole in a river and an excellent waterfall hike.
- •Franschhoek passWhen not causing multiple simultaneous vehicular homicides this road has a spectacular view of the Franschhoek valley. Possibility to see some (unfriendly, don't touch) baboons and also a hike up to Mt. Rochelle at the midpoint. Drive as fast as your vehicle can go on the Villiersdorp side or risk being rear-ended.
- •Victoria Rd. In CliftonFancy houses, fancy cars, fancy people.
- •Cederberg via CeresDriving into the Cederberg is unreal. Valley after valley with one long dirt road weaving up and down. So many good rocks. For me the most scenic route is via Ceres. Take the R303 out of Ceres and turn right after 20-30km at signs for Cederberg. For variety it's nice to drive out via Algeria and Citrusdal/N7.
- •Anywhere in the Klein KarooThe Klein Karoo is magical at dusk. Also, lambs.
- •Chapman's Peak DriveOne of the ones that always shows up on "the world's most scenic roads". Scenic. Toll.
- •Cape Point and Fish Hoek via MuizenbergSupposedly better by train although you would have to be more organized.