The Time I *almost* Met Margaret Atwood
- •In early May I was driving home from university with my mom and my grandma
- •We stopped at a rest stop a few hours from home and I walked straight in to the bathroom
- •My mom came in after me and said "Do you know who you just walked by?"I assumed it was a family friend or just an acquaintance or something...nothing special
- •"You just walked right by Margaret Atwood and Graeme Gibson" she saidTwo of the most important Canadian writers of all time!!!!
- •I couldn't believe that they were at the same rest stop at the same time as us and I couldn't believe I walked right by rhemFuck fuck fuck I will never forgive myself!!!
- •My mom said when she saw them she stopped open-mouthed and awkwardly said something like "Hi...I own an independent bookstore...thank you...thank you!" as they walked by
- •This encounter promptly reminded me that I had yet to read any of Margaret Atwood's novels so I quickly picked up my mom's old copy of The Handmaid's Tale and read it!I can't really call myself a Canadian book-loving feminist without having read it - it was terrifying and great of course!
- •I will spend the rest of my life waiting for my next chance to run into her and maybe tell her this uneventful story!