Things I noticed while volunteering as a pro-choice escort at an abortion clinic in Downey, CA, about 30 mins from LA.
- •BabiesProtestors bring babies. Patients also bring babies. Life is complicated, y'all.
- •RosariesAgain, in the hands of the protestors AND hanging around the review mirrors of patients. Complicated.
- •People not getting an abortionThis clinic provides all sorts of women's healthcare services. You'll often hear women say "but I'm just here to get birth control, why are they yelling at me?" Also, women who have had miscarriages do not appreciate a man yelling "Don't have an abortion!" at them.
- •A giant photo of a stillbirthUsed by Anti-choice protestors to look like a late-term abortion. The words PROTECT THE UNBORN above it.
- •ComediansApparently LA comedians are committed enough to the cause to drive to Downey at 9:30am on Sunday mornings. I found out about volunteering through a comedian and usually see @brockwilbur and others there.
- •Confusing honksIt's so hard to tell whether people are honking for the pro or anti choice message.
- •Anti-choice playlistThe protestors play a mostly annoying and occasionally disturbing mix of songs and sounds. There's a 5 minute clip of a young girl asking why she wasn't allowed to be born. Also, for some reason, 3-5 minutes of a baby crying. Oh, and Jesus Loves Me sung by children.