DISHES AT ARZAK, RANKED
Everything I ate at San Sebastián's 3 Michelin star restaurant, from best to worst. I have some time to kill before the debate starts at 3am. This is what li.st was made for, right?
- •Scarlet prawn with krillQuite possibly one of the best things I've ever eaten. The beetroot base, tender prawns, and featherlight krill hat? Goddammit, Arzak.
- •Pigeon with potato feathersI only had a bite of this one, but it was basically like eating a juicy, medium rare steak. ...But it's a bird? Whaaaat. 🐦
- •Lamb with Cyprus aroma Pt. 1It arrived like this... covered in smoking, fragrant Cyprus curls. Guys, I was so delighted by this dish that I burst into laughter. (I am an asshole.)
- •Lamb with Cyprus aroma Pt. 2This is what was underneath... lamb loin over a nut and Armagnac spread with yuca curls. C'mon.
- •Monkfish cleopatra with pecan nut paste and heiroglyphics made from pumpkin and chickpeaThis pic doesn't really do it justice, but it was straight up the coolest-looking thing I've ever eaten...? It helps that it was also mad tasty. What do the 'glyphs mean, though?
- •Sea bream with "patxaran" and purple cornBlew me away with how gorgeous it looked, held my interest with how light and delicious it tasted.
- •Acai granita with yuzu ice creamUsually a savory over sweet kind of gal, but I've never had anything like this before. Herbaceous, refreshing and slightly creamy. Well fucking done.
- •"Txistorra" with beer and mangoExcellent presentation.
- •Red space egg, red peppers, cereal ferments and crispy pig trottersSous vide egg, runny yolk, somehow lightly browned on the outside? Cute presentation. Ain't mad at it.
- •Gazpacho with honeydewDelightful packaging and delicious, but I like my gazpacho a little chunky? To reiterate: I'm an asshole.
- •Marinated sardine and strawberryI had better sardines yesterday, but it was fine. The sweet strawberry was a nice foil for the oily fish.
- •Square moon: lunar chocolate cube with a fluid core of mint, neroli and kiwiSolid good looks, and it exploded when I cracked it with my spoon. Love it when food surprises me.
- •Moringa and prawn gyozaNice one-bite thingy. Forgot about it 10 minutes later.
- •Banana and squidFine. Good.