REASONS IM ROCKING A SEMICOLON TODAY
A friend of mine challenged educators to wear a semicolon today to remind each other that mental health matters.
- •A semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to.Wherever you are, your story is not over.
- •I struggle with anxiety and panic attacks.Sometimes it feels like the world is closing in and might actually implode. It doesn't. It won't.
- •I've learned that talking to others lessens the hold over me.You aren't alone, actually a lot of people live in the same place you do. When you realize you're not the only one, it somehow feels more manageable.
- •We need each other's support.Especially when the tendency is to feel ashamed or try to hide what we are dealing with.
- •Mental health is important.I'm not sure why we try to pretend it isn't.
- •Kids need adults to talk about mental health more.So that when they are struggling, the conversation has been started for them.
- •If you want to see what passionate educators look like, check out the #semicolonedu on Twitter.I'm glad people like this exist in the world.
- •As an educator, I see lots of mental health issues go untreated too long.Get help! No shame in asking for what you need. I have rheumatoid arthritis, I think nothing about sharing this with people but hesitate to talk about my anxiety because it feels taboo. Why? This shouldn't be the case.
- •Post your semicolon support below.Don't be shy.