WHY I'M AFRAID OF TAXIDERMY
As requested by @ChrisK who keeps the conversations and lists flowing.
- •I'm actually not entirely sure when/why this phobia started. I always remember being oddly terrified by taxidermy.Apparently I'm not the only one, this is an actual phobia: taxidermiphobia.
- •This is the type of phobia that causes sweating, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, and once, passing out.You know that creepy feeling down your back? It's like that.
- •The "hall of life" at the natural history museum is basically like being in the seventh layer of hell.This is where I passed out- as a college student. Embarrassing.
- •Colorado is a hard place to live when this is your phobia.Taxidermy everywhere. If there is taxidermy in a restaurant, I feel sick to my stomach and cannot walk around it without clinging onto someone for dear life. Forget going to a restroom without a buddy.
- •I don't understand why beheading an animal and hanging it on the wall is considered decor.
- •My reaction to taxidermy is so insanely intense that I've enlisted myself in self-therapy stages to get over it.
- •Stage 1: make glitter taxidermy for my wall.Glitter makes it friendlier.
- •Stage 2: make foam core and wrapping paper taxidermy.This now lives by my desk at work. I tell my students that this is what facing your fears looks like.
- •Stage 2 continued: chevron+ taxidermy art.Obviously more palatable.
- •Stage 3: mini metal taxidermy.
- •Stage 4: more realistic.I still jump any time I come into the living room. It's getting better.
- •Goal: to be in the same room with actual taxidermy without completely flipping out.Jury is still out, but I feel like my self therapy plan is helping. Baby steps.