book recommendations from Ta-Nehisi Coates
"I don't want someone to read my book and say 'aha.' If you like it, say damn, that's interesting, and go read something else on the topic. That's how you appreciate it."
- 1."Stuck in Place: Urban Neighborhoods and the End of Progress toward Racial Equality" by Patrick Sharkey
- 2."Out of the House of Bondage" by Thavolia Glymph
- 3."Racecraft: The Soul of Inequality in American Life" by Karen E. Fields and Barbara J. Fields
- 4."For Discrimination: Race, Affirmative Action, and the Law" by Randall Kennedy
- 5."Punishment and Inequality in America" by Bruce Western
- 6."Great American City: Chicago and the Enduring Neighborhood Effect" by Robert J. Sampson
- 7."The Fire Next Time" by James Baldwinhttp://amzn.to/1Hcyeni – TNC has been compared to Baldwin. This is copped from his list of 10 favorite books, but relevant here.