5 Things That are Difficult to Explain to a Ukrainian Visitor in a US Supermarket
Here's why you'll feel embarrassed to be an American should you ever take a Ukrainian on a visit to a supermarket in the US...
- •Bags of lettuceUkrainian: "Why is lettuce in bag?" Me: "Uh..."
- •Milk--I mean, milksMe: "So what kind of milk do you want? Whole? Skim? 1%? 2%? Soy? Almond? Chocolate? Strawberry?" Ukrainian: "..." Me: "You look like a whole milk kind of guy, I think. Yeah."
- •Miles of soup in cansUkrainian: "This is soup to you?" Me: "Well, once you add water to it..." Ukrainian: *laughter*
- •Beer, so much beerUkrainian: "How about beer, American beer?" Me: "And you thought the milk was confusing... Do you like a craft beer?" Ukrainian: *blank stare* Ukrainian: "You pick American beer for me." Me: "This Bud's for you, my man. This Bud's for you. *
- •Individually packaged produce for no apparent reasonUkrainian: "Why is cucumber wrapped in plastic? Special cucumber?" Me: "Uh, I don't know..." Ukrainian: "I know cucumbers. I will buy and tell you if cucumber is special." Mr: "I look forward to your report."