WHAT HATERS, TROLLS, AND A-HOLES HAVE TAUGHT ME ABOUT THE COMMENTS SECTION.
I just had my first piece in the Washington Post's "Solo-ish" section. YAY. http://wapo.st/1Jic6i8 Comments started coming in. Boo! So mean! Here's what I've learned today, alone.
- 1.Everybody's a critic.Okay, I get it. You don't like my hair, my glasses, my beard, my cuffs, my sock-less look. Have a nice day, bye.
- 2.People will spend more energy complaining than complimenting.I have a new perspective for people in the service industry. Can a guy get a "nice job" around here?!
- 3.Nobody assumes the author reads or cares about the comments. These people are sociopaths who don't care about people's feelings.Got no time for such fools.
- 4.So...Don't read the comments.Except, natch, on the List App. (This, by the way, is my own "Before" pic.)
- 5.THE MOST IMPORTANT THING: I have a bit more perspective on the shit I myself read in the comments section...vs...
- 6.The sort of shit women put up with. It's one of the abuses our society puts on women: "Oh, I don't like your shoes. Or your body."
- 7.For a great comeback to the trolls of the World, check out Courtney Mina: http://bit.ly/1S5jkXS💪🏽❤️
- 8.Trolls of the world, get ready for a List App Beatdown!