PHOTOS ON MY PHONE FROM THE BALLYMALOE LITERARY FESTIVAL OF FOOD AND WINE
Litfest is an annual event where wonders of the food world give talks and demos at the mega dreamy Ballymaloe farm and cookery school in the Irish countryside. At night the place turns into a techno club.
- •DancingI took this to send to my dad because he tried face timing me but I was surrounded by techno. My gin cup accidentally made it in the bottom of the photo. Oops.
- •My birthday dinnerFrench fries, per tradition. One cone was fried in beef fat, one was fried in pork fat, they were appropriately crispy and topped with vinegar and vodka ketchup.
- •Fries and Donal SkehanDonal Skehan is totally the Nick Carter Circa 2001 of food. It was such a bummer he wasn't at the fest this year but naturally I still face swapped with him (this mural).
- •Yvette and OofThey are an amazing photographer/stylist duo and I could have sat there and watched them work for hours, it was so fascinating.
- •Yvette's class notesSo so cute.
- •Kerrygold hosted a fancy dinner (BUTTER PROM)Before the cheese course, a girl came into the dining room and sang a traditional Irish song that was so unbelievably beautiful, it's possible that was one of the best moments of my life. It was exactly as perfect as the Christmas dinner scene in the movie Brooklyn.
- •Our girl band and the seaI traveled around Ireland with these great humans! They are all food editors/former food editors of magazines and it was soo interesting to hear them talk about the magazine world.
- •The sweetest new friends!!They are students at Ballymaloe's 12-week cooking course and total legends! I'm very tempted to enroll in this course now.
- •Claire Ptak's demoShe inspired me to run home and make things with rhubarb 😋
- •Francis Mallmann cooking lunchMy first words to him were "Are those chickens?" They were very clearly chickens. I just didn't know what else to say. 🙄. (If you haven't watched his episode of Chef's Table, I highly recommend it.)
- •Two city ladies turned farm ladies!I am so so happy I got to spend time with Imen, she is the best best best. Buy her book, the Farmette book!!!
- •Zingerman's 12 Natural Laws of BusinessAri, the owner of Zingerman's, gave a great presentation about business things.
- •Yotam Ottolenghi and Ramael Scully🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼
- •My birthday breakfastA greasy cheesy egg sandwich, per tradition. I think the booth that it was from was called YOLO (?) I definitely felt that name was appropriate for this.
- •JR, the Ballymaloe pastry chef!Makes a mean rosewater marshmallow.
- •The Seashell HouseThe garden at Ballymaloe is absolutely insane. Their produce is gold and in the middle of it all is a house made of sea shells. 😱
- •Techno man