THINGS I UNDERSTAND ONLY MARGINALLY BUT SPEAK ABOUT WITH ABSOLUTE CONFIDENCE
a.k.a I have to google this every time I need it but then I know it intimately for 12 hours
- •Profit MarginI run a community theatre (very cool, I know) and I make presentations to our board describing how shows go etc. one of the things I touch on is the profit margin for a show. I'm a director by training but I took math in high school so it's chill. Must memorize: gross margin/total revenue
- •"Method" actingI mean, I get it. I have two theatre degrees. I understand Strasberg and Stanislavski. But when people start asking me detailed questions I just spew out buzzwords like "objective" "super-objective" and "Uta Hagen". Then someone inevitably wants to discuss the difference between the Method and the System. I. Don't. Care.
- •GrantsI write grant requests at my job. I'm good at it. But when I discuss grant writing with people who know nothing about it I lead them to believe I'm an absolute authority on the matter.
- •Celebrity couplesThis is probably the topic I am most well versed in on this list. But I don't keep perfectly up to date so I definitely lead people astray with my outmoded information.
- •The difference between whisky, bourbon, scotch, and whiskeyI have a general grasp. When this happens in front of someone who knows their shit it's embarrassing but whatever, I still do it.
- •Game of ThronesI've read all the books and i make sure EVERYONE knows it.
- •LatinI was a Latin major in college for a hot second. I remember literally no Latin.
- •Relationship adviceMy love life is not an accurate reflection of my knowledge or skills. I give fantastic advice I just refuse to follow it/take risks.
- •FootballI know more than your average joe but way less than I imply in conversations.
- •Musicals and playsI read and see a lot of plays. But if someone mentions something I'm unfamiliar with I just fake it until I can move the conversation to something I know really well e.g. "The Crucible" which I have read a million times.
- •LondonI lived there for 9 months when I was in grad school but you would think I was fucking Adele the way I discuss it with losers who have never been.