BONE MUSIC 💀
(Get yer mind out of the gutter! 🙃)
- •99% Invisible is one of my favorite podcasts and I recently heard a fascinating episode:
- •In 1950s Soviet Russia, Western music was banned.To be caught with a rock-and-roll or jazz record was to be charged with possession of propaganda.
- •There was a black market, of course, but vinyl was prohibitively expensive.So they started duplicating records on exposed X-ray film. Hence, bone music.
- •They trimmed the edges of the films with scissors to make them round and burned the center holes with lit cigarettes.
- •These bone records were "Western hits recorded on the interiors of Soviet citizens."If this captures your imagination as it did mine, I highly recommend giving it a listen.