IF YOU HAD WINGS 📁☀️
One Childhood Memory I Would Go Back and Relive, as requested by @BWN_7 awhile ago. Magic Kingdom, 1980s. Honestly, this was the first thing that popped into my head, but then it got complicated.
- •I have vivid sense memories I have of this ride.
- •The song is catchy and kind of hypnotic.
- •It probably contributed to my decision to become an anthropologist on a subconscious level.
- •In the days when you needed a ticket for each attraction (before my time), If You Had Wings was one of the few rides that didn't require one.
- •Because was really just a big advertisement for Eastern Airlines.All of the places you "visit" during the ride—Mexico, Bermuda, Puerto Rico, the Bahamas—were Eastern destinations.
- •But I didn't know that.
- •It was a two-person Omnimover dark ride in operation from 1972 till 1989.For you amusement park aficionados.
- •Thirty-eight 16mm projectors made the otherwise static sets come to life.I was entranced.
- •The fish he caught got bigger and then smaller again.One of those vivid memories.
- •Even if we could relive moments from our childhoods, how would they change based on our knowledge, experience, and perspective as adults?As a child, the bright and vibrant and different world I saw through this ride was inspirational. There was never much of a line, so I'd ask to go on a few times in a row.
- •I loved this ride, but I know that if I was able to experience it as an adult I'd likely find it problematic, racist and exploitative.See Jamaica Kincaid's 'A Small Place.' (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Small_Place)
- •At the end of the ride, Orson Welles intones, "You do have wings. You can do all these things. You can widen your world. Eastern: The Wings of Man."Does everyone? Can everyone? To what end? At whose expense?
- •"Well, something's lost, but something's gained, in living every day."Joni Mitchell sang that.
- •If I could relive this memory, my experience of it would be so very different. More complicated. But that feels right to me.Something's lost, but something's gained.