LITTLE BOOKS I LOVE
These books are small and charming.
- •Nutshell Library--Maurice Sendak2.8 x 4 inches. Four lovely books: Alligators All Around, Chicken Soup With Rice, One Was Johnny, And Pierre. "In February it will be / My snowman's anniversary / With cake for him / And soup for me / Happy once / Happy twice / Happy chicken soup with rice."
- •Little Fur Family--Margaret Wise-Brown, illustrated by Garth Williams3 x 4 inches. The version we have is bound in (faux) fur. Man, M W-B wrote some weird books, and I love her for it. When the little fur grandpa sneezes, he says "Kerchoo!", which is very fun to read aloud.
- •I Like You--Sandol Stoddard Warburg, illustrated by Jacqueline Chwast5 x 5.3 inches. My mom gave this book to my dad and I grew up reading it. "I like you because if I am mad at you / Then you are mad at me too / It's awful when the other person isn't / Phooey / They are so nice and hoo-hoo you could just about punch them in the nose"
- •The inscription...❤️
- •A Hole Is To Dig--Ruth Krauss, illustrated by Maurice Sendak5 x 6.5 inches. A book of definitions inspired by preschoolers. "Mashed potatoes are to give everybody enough." "Mud is to jump in and slide in and yell doodleedoodleedoo!" You can't go wrong when Krauss and Sendak get together.
- •The Sun Egg--Elsa Beskow5 x 7 inches. Also available in a larger format, but why would you want that? Beskow was a Swedish author who wrote and illustrated stories about things like elves discovering oranges in the woods and thinking that the sun must have dropped an egg from the sky.