MY DARKEST MOMENT ⚫️
Inspired by @ListPrompts
- •I was 10 and on vacation with my parents.We had driven my grandparents' RV from Chicago to Orlando and "camped" at Disney's Fort Wilderness. On our way back, we made a bunch of stops.
- •One of our stops was Mammoth Cave in Kentucky.It was beautiful and pleasantly cool on a hot day.
- •In the middle of a huge room in the cave, the tour guide told a story about a 19th century explorer with miserable luck and/or poor planning skills, whose torch burned out.Without any light in this labyrinthine cave, he had to click two rocks together in the darkness to prevent himself from losing his mind. I was reminded of this story when in Serial Season 2, Bowe Bergdahl talks about how being left alone in a dark room during his captivity made him question his very existence.
- •Then, he said, "To give you some idea of what he experienced, I'm going to put out the lights for a moment."And he did.
- •The huge space collapsed.
- •I must have been holding my mom's hand, but I felt utterly alone.
- •My eyelids retracted and my eyeballs bulged out in an effort to make sense of the complete darkness.
- •It probably lasted 10 seconds but felt so much longer.
- •And then he flipped on his flashlight and the cave was illuminated again.The relief was thrilling. It was physical and mental and emotional. I felt giddy.
- •Probably not what you had in mind @ListPrompts , but that was my darkest moment.And I'll never forget it.