WHAT I LOVE ABOUT MUSIC
These are moments in songs that I anticipate the whole time I'm listening to them. That feeling is one of the things I love most about music— the way that songs you love become comforting and familiar, but are still also exciting and moving. For me these moments are usually about vocals/lyrics, but sometimes just about the music....
- •Tramp by Otis Redding and Carla Thomashttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wP7VU6AVIgc When Otis shouts "Tramp!" in the middle of the song. Kind of silly and joyful.
- •Warrior by Kimbrahttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PUUivXgJ2S4 The way her voice gets that low vibrato when she sings "It's a chain reaction"
- •Ain't No Mountain High Enough by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrellhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IC5PL0XImjw "I told you you can always count on me darlin'" (especially the "darlin") and also Marvin's "Woo" after Tammi sings "My love is alive". Perfect.
- •Criminal by Fiona Applehttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FFOzayDpWoI "So what would an angel say? The devil wants to know." It all builds up to this line for me. Brilliant.
- •Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolfhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U4WiyxXpyZc When the lyrics kick back in after the long instrumental bridge
- •Suffragette City by David Bowiehttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CEkXAHIKdKI "Awwww...wham bam thank you, ma'am"
- •Scenario by A Tribe Called Questhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6TLWqn82J4 "New York, North Cack-a-lack-a and Compton!" (P.S. RIP Phife Dawg ☹️)
- •Watching the Detectives by Elvis Costello & The Attractionshttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Qnt5bx1OI "It only took my little fingers to blow you away" with the drums for emphasis.
- •Sure Shot by The Beastie Boyshttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JhqyZeUlE8U "Well, I'm that kid in the corner, all fucked up and I wanna so I'm gonna." Major college party nostalgia.
- •Vogue by Madonnahttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FQtnE7sZ7dY The first "strike a pose." Because of the concert footage in "Truth or Dare" when she turns to face the audience as she says this and the crowd just explodes. It's emotional for me in a way that's hard to explain, and it brings tears to my eyes.