SO YOU WANT TO BE A FASHION WRITER
An ongoing list of all the words and phrases you need to know.
- 1.EpitomeLately, Amal Clooney is the epitome of everything, "glamour," "of a lady," "class," etc.
- 2.LoucheUse when referring to something influenced by Saint Laurent (Yves or Tom Ford only) or anything that's early Tom Ford (Gucci or YSL).
- 3.ChicAnything can be chic. Shoes, nail polish, a vintage t-shirt, whatever.
- 4.Channel/ChannelingNot like the English Channel but when you're dressing mod, or like a French girl, or like a mod French girl.
- 5.French WomenAmerican fashion is obsessed with French Women and how they don't get fat, wear striped shirts and berets, raise their children, wear jeans and flats. It's mostly still all about Jane Birkin even though she's English, and like, Anna Karina even tho she's mostly Danish.
- 6.Statement PieceA huge necklace. A boldly printed blouse. Giant culottes/JNCOs/extravagant fur shoes.
- 7.Day-to-NightUsually involves taking off a cardigan, switching flats to heels.
- 8.Investment PieceA way to justify buying a coat or shoes or a dress that will cost several months' rent (but why are you buying investment pieces if you rent? LOL). Unless it's an Hermes bag, this will be a poor investment.
- 9.Enfant TerribleMostly used about Gaultier, Galliano, or McQueen. Who's the new enfant terrible? Jeremy Scott? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- 10.High/LowBest when it's something like "this Hermes hand-me-down from my grandmother mixed with these new Celine trousers."
- 11.SignatureWhen you wear the same thing all the time! Chicest use "my signature scent is a mix of Chanel No. 5 and Cool Water, I'm all about androgynous style."
- 12.Androgynous StyleWhen women wear a tailored suit without a shirt underneath (aka, "channeling Yves Saint Laurent's louche style"), cut their hair short.
- 13.Borrow from the boysBaggy jeans, oversized sweaters, sneakers. Not louche.
- 14.EffortlessStill take effort.Suggested by @jilianbream