ME AT HALF MY AGE
Inspired by @nathanveshecco but like...I don't really have memories, so we'll see if the Internet can help.
- •I was 11 and I was in sixth grade.
- •My brother had just started high school, so I was officially the last of my siblings in our Catholic elementary/middle school.
- •I wrote an essay for school about why W should win over Kerry, but really I was just listening to what my parents thought.How times CHANGE, my friends.
- •Ronald Reagan died, which I only remember bc I wrote about it for class.We had to do these news things every week from 5th-8th grade. It got more intense every year, but essentially you had to summarize and state the importance of a national news article and an international news article. This practice succeeded in making me hate reading the news.
- •Mean Girls came out this year, but I'm almost certain I didn't watch it until 8th grade.
- •My sister was in college and Friends had just ended. I remember staying in her dorm room and watching episode after episode (as she had downloaded all of them in preparation for the finale) and eating cookie dough and Oreos.I remember thinking college was AMAZING. And my sister was amazing, of course. I still think this.
- •YEAH BY USHER CAME OUT THIS YEAROh my god, what a staple at our monthly dances. Damn, 2004 was a YEAR
- •Carrie Underwood won American Idol and then my mom took me to the concert when the top 12 were touring.This show was all I cared about for a couple of years. I dreamed of auditioning with a Beatles song (?? I'm weird)
- •Pope John Paul II died, which was actually a huge deal for me. This was the year I had started questioning my faith and I thought my doubts had personally affected the life of someone I really truly respected.Catholic guilt is so real.
- •I went to Live 8 in Philly! It was awesome, and kind of unexpected. My mom told us we were going like the day before and we got up early and took the train into Philly. I didn't really know what was happening, but Will Smith was there and everyone sang the Fresh Prince theme song in unison, so I was happy.
- •Musically, I had some bad taste: Black Eyed Peas, Hilary Duff, all popular songs played at the dances
- •But this was also a huge staple for me.I knew all the words to every song, and even though my mom had been playing the entire discography for me since I was born, I still wanted to bop around to this alone in my room.
- •I had a diary at this time, but I found it when I was 13 and I was so embarrassed that I pulled out every single page and hand shredded it. I've always been an editor :')