RUFUS WAINWRIGHT: A BEGINNER'S GUIDE
YESSSSS Thank you @nathanveshecco !! This is one of my favorite topics.
- •So the best thing about Rufus is that his music spans the generations. The first concert I attended of his was at Longwood Gardens and the attendees were a BUNCH of old people.Side note: this performance was recorded so the openers and Rufus redid or restarted some songs, which was so weird!
- •However, my mom hates him. I can't stand it! She thinks his voice is "too nasally" but honestly his range is amazing and his piano skills are 👌
- •Okay so he's Canadian-American (born in NY, raised in Montreal) and the son of Louden Wainwright III, who is a songwriter and folk singer. He's on NPR a lot. V cool.Babies 😍
- •And his mom was Kate McGarrigle who was a folk singer-songwriter. She died in 2010 and it really affected Rufus. He's been vocal about his grief.D'aw
- •He struggled with an addiction to crystal meth, but went to rehab and poured himself into his music.
- •He is gay and married with a beautiful daughter courtesy of Leonard Coen's daughter.They look so nice ☺️
- •The first song I ever loved of his is called The Art Teacher. It's from the perspective of a woman looking back on her first love. It's beautiful.Here's his tiny desk performance 😍 http://youtu.be/UaMAxg22xh8
- •(Also fun fact: I tried to get my art teacher in high school to listen to that song and he was really weird about it. I figured out later that he probably thought I was trying to confess my love for him...sorry to Mrs. Beste!)
- •If you'd like something you'll recognize, try his covers of Hallelujah or Across the Universe, both slow and lovely
- •My favorite Christmas song
- •Oh What a World uses an interpretation of Boléro, which is just beautiful
- •If you like Jeff Buckley, listen to Memphis Skyline, Rufus's tribute to himhttp://youtu.be/KS-nz3CMBJ0 (sorry about this weird subtitled version)
- •I recommend Poses or Want Two as the first albums you should listen to.
- •And then Want One and Songs for Lulu, if you've liked them.
- •But also the entirety of the NPR tiny desk concert, because that's my favorite way to see an artist.
- •I could talk about Rufus all day. But I won't because probably only Nathan will care. HOWEVER if you ever want to talk about him I'M HERE.