TOP TEN EPISODES OF THE WEST WING, RANKED
Touché, sir. Touché.
- 10.Bartlet's Third State of the Union (Season 2, episode 13)HAD to include a state of the Union. The tension that comes from making the speech is perfect.
- 9.Let Bartlet Be Bartlet (Season 1, episode 19)Being gay in the military is okay! The frustration in this episode is palpable, and then Leo does his Leo thing. There are more important things than reelection! And then: Let Bartlet be Bartlet.
- 8.Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics (Season 1, episode 21)Starts with perfect Donna/Josh dialogue 👌I love the countdown mode of this episode, the tense feeling of waiting for polling numbers. Also Sam is still with the call girl and JOEY LUCAS (the best. I know Josh and Donna, but...Josh and Joey).
- 7.College Kids (Season 4, episode 2)Let's make college tuition tax deductible, guys!! I love watching Toby and Josh's banter, seriously. And when they figure it out and call the man from the bar in Indiana to tell them about it 😢 I also like the banter between Charlie and Debbie Fidderer. Again, there's a tense atmosphere around the whole episode.
- 6.The Pilot (Season 1, episode 1)How could I not include this? This pilot has everything that's essential to The West Wing–witty dialogue, drama, politics, and THE WALKING.
- 5.In the Shadow of Two Gunmen (Season 2, episode 2)I'm crying thinking about this episode (spoiler alert: not actually crying). The flashbacks are excellent. Thank god I watched the west wing after it was all over bc I would not have dealt well without knowing what was going to happen here. President Bartlet, from his hospital bed: "What's next?" I'm weak.
- 4.Twenty-Five (Season 4, episode 22)High-stakes episode. Jed has to face that he feels more dedication to being a father than a president. What a terrible situation to be in as a father, and especially a president. DC is shut down (which is actually insane to think about??) and it's tense. Toby has twins!! And then President Bartlet isn't president anymore. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
- 3.20 Hours in America (Season 4, episode 1)I love campaign episodes. Josh, Toby, and Donna being left behind is hilarious and frustrating. Just perfect. "I work at the White House." It's so GOOD. Also this is when they get the idea for tax-deductible tuition and they get off the shuttle and walk all the way back to the White House ☺️
- 2.Shutdown (Season 5, episode 8)"THEN SHUT IT DOWN." Chills. I'm not in favor of government shutdowns, but there's something about watching Pres. Bartlet stick to his morals that makes you feel good. I love that no one knows where the dumpsters are. And the EPIC walk to Capitol Hill. You can't beat it. The feeling you feel when that happens? That's the utter respect we all feel for a president of the United States. Because patriotism is in our BLOOD (and forced down our throats) okay anyway.
- 1.Two Cathedrals (Season 2, episode 22)This episode always gets me. The flashbacks to Jed's childhood memories of Mrs. Landingham are touching. The reveal of his MS is emotional. Plus the president's outburst in the cathedral is 100% better than any of Frank Underwood's bc Jed Bartlet is the best tv president!! And he's classy and genuine where Frank is ruthless and fake. Also, when Jed puts his hands in his pockets, looks away, and smiles. 😩 Favorite episode.