Really, I don't want your damn senior citizen discount!
- •Okay, so I know this headline makes me sound like a cranky old man who should get a discount or whatever just to shut him up.
- •But I'm "only" 58 today. Which makes me ancient by Li.st app standards, but by actuarial standards, I should have another two decades or so.
- •That said, I have days when I'm practically startled when I look in the mirror and think, "Whoa, who the hell is that old guy?"
- •Anyway, the discount. Let me start by saying I didn't ask for it. So I have to wonder whether you're thinking I look 50, 55, or 60, or god forbid, older. Is this what it's like when someone asks if you're pregnant and you're just carrying a few extra lbs? Please don't make assumptions about me.
- •I don't need your damn discount. I'm actually at the peak of my career and earning power. No need to patronize me.
- •It would make so much more sense for you to give the discount to millennials, who are more financially screwed and vulnerable than my generation. Why should my generation be subsidized by the generation we've saddled with trillions of dollars in debt and who are struggling to pay off student loans, buy a first home, etc??
- •I get that this is mostly a marketing ploy. But here's the thing. I'd rather not wonder every time I'm in line how old I look to you that day.
- •Or maybe you're giving me a discount for maintaining a pulse? Also unnecessary.
- •Okay, old man rant is over.