BEST THINGS ABOUT THE DECK, A FLOATING AMERICAN EATERY AND BAR
The Deck is a seasonal floating restaurant and bar on Marine Drive in Portland. It's "the working man's maritime eatery," and it's one of my favorite places on the planet for a million different reasons. Here are a few of them:
- •Bucket drinks
- •It's disorienting - in the best way possible.The Deck gives you that "instant vacation"/"I-don't-know-where-the-fuck-I-am-right-now-but-it-definitely-isn't-Portland" feeling. I live for that feeling.
- •$3 logo visorsBest visor for your buck, anywhere.
- •Free Tootsie Pops after your meal!Makes regular after-dinner-mints seem like total bullshit.
- •Salty yet loving waitstaff.See my anecdote about the waitress who affectionately called me a "little bird" and told me to "fly" when I ordered a shot of Fireball in my list "BEST RESTAURANTS IN PORTLAND."
- •Festive garnishes.
- •They give you blankets if you're cold!
- •Coronas in bulk.
- •Beautiful murals.
- •Did I mention the bucket drinks?
- •Notice that I specifically did not mention the food. People go to The Deck for the atmosphere, and to drink. Order strategically and stick to the basics: burgers, fish and chips, etc.
- •Helpful signage.
- •All day Happy Hour.