The Moments Immediately Following A Grocery Store Employee Quitting Over the Loudspeaker
Thursday night, 9PM, busy shoppers bustling around Fred Meyer trying to finish their purchases, when over the loudspeaker rings out: “Message to (unintelligible name): I fucking quit!"
- •Dead silence for around 5 seconds, and then people start peeking around the end of the aisle to be like "OMG!!!" and "Did that just happen?" and "That was awesome!"
- •After a few minutes, a compelling thought occurs to me: the rogue employee must still be in the store somewhere. I am tempted to buy a bag of popcorn and a lawn chair and park it by the exit to watch this scene unfold.
- •10 minutes later and everyone's still pushing their carts around exchanging meaningful glances, as if to say "DID YOU HEAR THAT???"
- •Also everything else is crazy here too? I swear it isn't just me.
- •I saw a guy blatantly ripping open packages of Nicorette and standing there chewing it like a wild animal and looking menacingly around like "You saw nothing." I avoid eye contact and roll on by.
- •Weird night at the store.
- •I love the specific phenomena that occurs when something bizarre happens in a mundane situation and strangers are forced to acknowledge it and share a bond over the break from the routine.