Ranking Ryan Gosling's performances from best to worst
If a performance isn't on this list then I haven't seen it and can't judge it. I was inspired to post this because I saw The Nice Guys last night and it was great. Note: I believe that all of these performances are fantastic, as RyGos is definitely one of our most talented actors. Some performances are just better than others.
- 1.Lars and the Real GirlI think the perfect quote to describe this performance is from Ann Hornaday of The Washington Post, who called his performance "a small miracle... because he changes and grows so imperceptibly before our eyes." I really think he should have been Oscar-nominated for this one.
- 2.Half NelsonThis movie terrified me because I was worried that Ryan Gosling was a drug addict. That's how authentic this performance was. But it was also wonderful because he managed to humanize a character who he could have easily just turned into a "movie villain."
- 3.The Nice GuysThis is by far Ryan's funniest performance to date. He also did something really amazing with this performance, which is how complex he made Holland March. In the hands of a lesser actor, Holland March would have just turned into some forgettable doofus. But with Ryan, Holland is instantly memorable.
- 4.Blue ValentineHe should have gotten an Oscar nomination for this movie too. His careful balance between "the good guy" and "the bad guy" in this movie is something to behold.
- 5.The NotebookThis is probably his most well-known role and the one that cemented him as a heartthrob. It's also a very good performance due to the tenderness and quietness that he brings to the role. If a different actor had been in this role, the movie would have been completely different.
- 6.Crazy, Stupid, LoveThis was the movie that showed us Gosling's funny side as well, and it's a very good comedic debut. In addition to that, Jacob is actually a very well rounded and relatable character, not just "the guy who picks up girls."
- 7.La La LandHis character is kind of a jerk here, but I think his performance was more memorable than Emma's. It's definitely not his best performance, but I really enjoyed it.
- 8.The Ides of MarchThis is a very good performance, however I think it could have been more complex. Stephen just seemed a little one note, but it's possible that was due to the writing, not Ryan.
- 9.The Big ShortThis is a very good supporting performance (a horrible wig though) but it's just not his best and doesn't require much complexity.
- 10.FractureThis is a good performance, it's just not remarkable or anything.
- 11.All Good ThingsThis performance confused me. I really couldn't figure out what he was trying to do here. And I can't tell if it was just a miscalculated performance or if that was the point.
- 12.GoosebumpsThis performance is a classic, however not his best. His acting isn't authentic enough. It really does show how far he has come though!
- 13.The Place Beyond the PinesThis performance, save for the scene where he took his pants off, was largely forgettable and one note.