Ways People Have Gone Over Niagara Falls, Ranked By Originality
I'm obsessed with stories of people going over Niagara Falls. I visited Niagara Falls when I was 12, and I have a tshirt that has a picture of a barrel going over the falls with the words "I survived the plunge." I've convinced several people that I did survive a trip over Niagara Falls.
- •KayakYes, you read that right. In 1990, Jesse Sharp decided to ride a kayak over the falls, didn't wear a life vest because he was worried about getting trapped (?????) and died unfortunately. His body has never been found.
- •Jet skiIn 1995, Robert Overacker rode a jet ski over the falls, but his parachute didn't open on time and he plunged to his death.
- •Life vestIn 1960, 7-year-old Roger Woodward was swept over the falls after a boating mishap. He was picked up by the Maid of the Mist at the bottom and survived with only cuts and scrapes. He was wearing only a life vest and a bathing suit.
- •"The Thing"In 1950, William "Red" Hill Jr. rode a contraption, essentially just a bunch of inner tubes attached by netting, over the falls. He didn't survive and this stunt would lead to legislation making it illegal to stunt at Niagara Falls.
- •"Plunge-O-Sphere"In 1961, Nathan Boya became the first black man to go over the falls in this sphere covered with steel and rubber. He survived and was fined $100.
- •BarrelThe most common way to go over the falls is a barrel. The first person to go over the falls in a barrel was Annie Edson Taylor in 1901. She survived, and started a trend of going over the falls.
- •I didn't include the people who went over the falls with no barrel or contraption because those were all suicide attempts and there is not much information about those trips.
- •Disclaimer: it is illegal to go over the falls, both on the New York side and the Canada side. Keep that in mind if you are planning your daredevil opportunity!One of the men who went over the falls as a stunt/suicide attempt (it's still a little unclear which is really was) was fined $2,300 and is banned from entering Canada for life.