Things My Dad Has Done For Me
my dad is awesome
- 1.Shown me that you don't have to know right now what/who you want to be, but you can be anything you wantMy Dad lived a turbulent childhood, moving around the country with a negligent father, alcoholic mother, and 3 siblings. Yet he got a large scholarship to Washington University, lived on his own working odd jobs to pay the rent, got a degree in architecture, got a full ride to Law School, worked as a private and public attorney, and now heads an Ethics Commission. He did all that, plus he can hold a conversation about any topic you can think of.
- 2.Taught me that forgiveness is better than hatePeople have wronged my Dad countless times, he's faced adversity, he's seen the terrible side that many people in the world hold - but he has no grudges, regrets, or hatred in his heart. He loves with all his might and looks for appropriate, diplomatic, and peaceful solutions to the world's problems.
- 3.Cooked, cleaned, and fixed thingsMy Dad has proven that you don't have to live within your gender norms, roles, stereotypes, what have you, to be fully amazing. He was the primary chef, maid, and handyman without complaining that "as a man" he didn't have to do anything domestic. Because of him I've never once thought I had to be a good cook or bad at using tools.
- 4.Enforced a love of reading and learningFamily dinners = family roundtable discussions, in my house. I discovered through my Pops that just because I love Biology doesn't mean I can't also be an International Affairs major - and he supports me in both areas. He gave me books and read to me as a child, and now he forwards me links to articles in a variety of subject matters that he thinks I may be interested in. He's shown me that the world is an incredible place if you take the time to notice it.
- 5.Given me the worldHe loves me unconditionally through the good and bad times, opening my eyes and heart, and showering me the confidence and strength to do the same for everyone else. I love my Dad.