FAVORITE SONGS FROM "THE LIFE OF PABLO" RANKED
I love Kanye. My friend, @LevNovak, used to love Kanye. When TLOP dropped, I was pretty disenchanted. I have given it a few more listens and these are my favorites in order. I don't think it's a bad album, though I do think Yeezy has better albums -- namely, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, which remains his magnum opus, in my opinion.
- 1.Ultralight BeamChance the Rapper delivers the best verse of the album. This track, while showcasing Kanye's incomparable production talent, manages to provide a clear example of the strong Gospel direction into which Kanye tried to steer TLOP. I think the track, standing alone, is one of Kanye's best and cements Chance the Rapper as Kanye's heir, as the most reflective and sonically inclusive musician.
- 2.FamousRihanna and Swizz Beatz were phenomenal here. Also, the riffs on the back end of the track are addictive. You will be have this song in your head for days.
- 3.Real FriendsI think that lyrically this song is more reminiscent of old Kanye as he navigates the struggles to manage fame and family and friends. I hope the track gets more circulation because I think it is the track that best illuminates Yeezy's feelings at the time of this album's release.
- 4.No More Parties in LAKendrick Lamar.
- 5.Father Stretch My Hands Pt. 1 & Pt. 2The opening line about a model's bleached asshole, while entertaining every time I hear it, ends up being forgettable as the song continues, and is an unfortunate distraction from a well-produced pair of tracks. I think the chorus of "I just want to feel liberated. If I ever instigated, I am sorry," is also thought provoking.
- 6.HighlightsTruly, I dare you to resist saying, "I need every bad bitch up in Equinox." The line is silly, but it's delivered with such joviality that it's tough not to sing with. The Blac Chyna line seems out of place, but, again, the beat is just so good. The Ray J line, though, is just annoying and I wish it was deleted.
- 7.WavesWhile I enjoy singing with this song, I struggle to forget that Chris Brown bear Rihanna, so I pushed it down a few notches.
- 8.30 Hours
- 11.FMLI like how The Weeknd is used in this song, but end up forgetting to pay attention to the song toward the end.