10 OF MY FAVORITE SONGS
I have kind of specific old man taste.
- 1.“Visions of Johanna” - Bob DylanThis guy has everything I love about a Dylan song. It sounds all pretty, is full of ridiculous word play, is kinda mean-spirited, and prompts a lot of head scratching that’s all… but what does it MEAN? It seems to me it’s just about fucking one person and wishing they were a different person.
- 2.“Rocks Off” - The Rolling Stones“Sunshine bores the daylight out of me”? Come on, that’s too great! I had an ex who wrote me a long email explaining why it was absolutely imperative that I get my shit together and accept that “Exile on Main Street” is a better record than “Sticky Fingers.” And it totally worked! Possibly related: that ex is in federal prison now.
- 3."Poor, Poor Pitiful Me" - Warren ZevonAbsolutely the best song ever written about Jackson Brown complaining that he got laid too much.
- 4.“Hold On” - Tom WaitsIt’s so hard to pick a favorite Waits song. (You do realize no one is actually asking you to do that, right?) “Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis” is a contender because it’s so devastating but also so funny (although begrudging credit goes to Bukowski for that, so…), and also stalwarts like “Anywhere I Lay My Head” and “Come on Up to the House.” But this one just gets me right in that bloody muscle living inside my ribcage.
- 5."A Change is Gonna Come" - Sam CookeThe all-time greatest American song, I declare here and now!
- 6.“Ship of Fools” - John CaleI really love John Cale. I feel like he was more integral to the Velvets’ sound than he gets credit for. Or maybe he does get that credit, I don’t actually know. Anyway, this song is wonderful, particularly the live versions.
- 7."When You Were Mine" - PrinceThe human condition.
- 8."Fountain and Fairfax" - The Afghan WhigsThe Whigs are my goddamn favorites. I got to watch them play this song from stage next to the mixing board once, and it made this cynical little asshole beam.
- 9."Woolly Bully" - Sam the Sham and the PharoahsI would like a half-sleeve of different interpretations of the woolly bully.
- 10."Free Fallin'" - PettyVampires, Reseda, bad boys. I'm in.
- 11.Going to Georgia, Mountain GoatsSuggested by @videodrew