12 RELATIVELY MINDBLOWING STATS ABOUT LOVE & MARRIAGE FROM "MODERN ROMANCE"
Aziz Ansari and Eric Klinenberg's investigation into love in the digital age. Let me say at the outset that a lot of these stats seem unbelievable. I promise they've all been heavily fact checked and arise from reputable studies. Thanks for the reco @juliewhitesell!
- 1.In 1932, 33% of married couples were comprised of people who lived in a five-block radius of each other.Do you even know your neighbors???
- 2.In 1967, 67% of US women and 35% of men said they would marry someone they were not romantically in love with.Oh cool.
- 3.By the early 1990s, 91% of US women and 87% of men said they wouldn't marry someone unless they were in love with them.Whoa worldview shift.
- 4.88% of people monitor their ex's social media activity after breaking up.Nope, you're not insane!
- 5.Only 47% of people in France think infidelity is morally unacceptable.On Valentine's Day, gift shops advertise, "Don't Forget Your Mistress!" Ansari only dips a toe into the trench of gender issues embedded in this stat.
- 6.60% of Japanese men in their early 20s and at least 42% of Japanese men 23-34 consider themselves "Herbivore men": Men who express a lack of interest in sex and romantic relationship, and long for quieter lives.What?
- 7.In 2013, 46% of Japanese women age 16 to 24 "were not interested in or despised sexual contact". And 25% of Japanese men in that age group feel the same.SERIOUSLY. WHAT. IS. HAPPENING.
- 8.Japan's prefectures subsidize online dating sites and in-person dating activities, even sending gifts to couples who marry.Www dot whitehouse dot gov slash hookitup?
- 9.In Buenos Aires, 60% of women had experienced intimidation from men who catcalled them.Um, shouldn't that be global, and more like 99%?
- 10.Of the two types of romantic love we experience (passionate and companionate), passionate love tends to last an average of 1-1.5 years.And it's arguably the strongest, most sustainable dopamine high on the market.
- 11."Statistically the smartest thing for you to do when you walk into a bar is go to the bathroom, jerk off, and leave."Might try that.
- 12.89% of the global population lives in a country with a falling marriage rate.OKAY SO THAT EXPLAINS MY WHOLE LIFE THXBYE.