WHAT TO PACK FOR A LAYPERSON'S GOURMET BEACH PICNIC
☀️🍑🌈🐝🍒🌳🍉☀️ (Clearly there are other things you can pack. These are the gourmet basics.) (Thanks for keeping list requests in season @brookielyons.)
- •2+ LARGE BLANKETSEven if it's just two of you. You'll put them to good use, I promise.
- •REAL UTENSILS & GLASSES, WRAPPED IN KITCHEN TOWELSInclude a sharp knife, some butter knives, forks, spoons, and wine and water glasses. So chic. And comforting! Feel that wine glass in your hand.
- •CHEESES: ONE HARD, ONE SOFT & MILD, ONE SMELLYFor example: Aged Gouda (hard), chèvre (soft), Roquefort (smelly).
- •BREAD YOU CAN TEAR INTODon't cut it. C'mon. Use your goddamn hands. It just feels good.
- •OLIVESGreek, castelvetranos, kalamatas, a few other kinds as desired. Olive bars are nice for this.
- •FRESH FRUIT & PRESERVED FRUITFigs, nectarines, dark grapes, berries. And, ideally, fig jam or any kind of homemade jam. And/or honey.
- •CURED MEATS, TINNED FISH, CAVIAR (??!??)Salami, sardines, roe, as you like.
- •DIPS: HUMMUS + OTHER DIPS OF CHOICEGo wild.
- •A WATERMELON FETA SALADDon't roll your eyes. Bring cut up watermelon. Bring feta. Bring olive oil. Bring mint. Crumble feta over watermelon and tear mint on top. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Eat with fingers.
- •SMALL JAR(S) OF OLIVE OIL & BALSAMIC, TOGETHER OR SEPARATEYou'll use it.
- •SMALL JAR OR TIN OF SEA SALTJacobsen Salt Company makes a tiny portable (purse-sized) tin. I bet someone reading this has one. (Is it you???)
- •CHOCOLATE: AT LEAST TWO VARIETALSIn bar form. Ideal for nibbling and feeding others.
- •WINE(S) OF CHOICEClearly. (Don't forget a corkscrew!)
- •ALL THE SPARKLING ROSÉ @hillarykerrSuggested by @jansonebwoodlee
- •GLASS BOTTLES OF WATERThey cost $3.49 at IKEA. Again, very chic. They make you feel French. You could also fill them with hibiscus iced tea, mint lemonade, or mixed drinks.
- •BAMBOO PLATES ARE NICEYou can buy reusable or disposable bamboo plates. Use the dish towels you wrapped the utensils in as napkins, and bring some extra paper towels.
- •MUSICAL INSTRUMENT, JAMBOX, SUNDAY PAPER, BOOK OF POETRY, FINGER-PAINTING KIT, OTHER VIBE-MAKING, INTERACTIVE DEVICE.Yum.