WILD THINGS WE SAW AT THE AMERICAN RIVER
My dad and his girlf and I did some foraging this morning in Sacramento, his hometown.
- 1.Wild radishesSuper spicy, yummy blossoms
- 2.Wild peasSo tender!
- 3.Wild fennelHuge fronds, as tall as us
- 4.Wild rosesThe most exquisite, delicate fragrance
- 5.Wild sageA varietal I've never seen, but my dad insisted; he was right
- 6.Wild blackberriesNot ripe yet
- 7.Wild cleaversThey stick to you; good for the kidneys
- 8.Wild elderflowerBut no berries
- 9.Wild grapes growing in a walnut treeMy dad's girlf brilliantly remarked, "It's an hors d'oeuvres tree!"
- 10.Wild mustardGorgeous little yellow blossoms
- 11.Wild Canadian geese and mallards and egrets and swallows and blue jaysAnd retrievers (not wild), learning to bird!