WILD THINGS WE SAW AT THE AMERICAN RIVER
My dad and his girlf and I did some foraging this morning in Sacramento, his hometown.
- •Wild radishesSuper spicy, yummy blossoms
- •Wild peasSo tender!
- •Wild fennelHuge fronds, as tall as us
- •Wild rosesThe most exquisite, delicate fragrance
- •Wild sageA varietal I've never seen, but my dad insisted; he was right
- •Wild blackberriesNot ripe yet
- •Wild cleaversThey stick to you; good for the kidneys
- •Wild elderflowerBut no berries
- •Wild grapes growing in a walnut treeMy dad's girlf brilliantly remarked, "It's an hors d'oeuvres tree!"
- •Wild mustardGorgeous little yellow blossoms
- •Wild Canadian geese and mallards and egrets and swallows and blue jaysAnd retrievers (not wild), learning to bird!