"Leave the room" moments of the 2017 Golden Globes
This year, my mom and watched the Golden Globes. We both have a very low threshold for all things embarrassing. This is usually when an actor wins and makes a cringe worthy speech. My mom calls it a "leave the room". It's when something is so painfully embarrassing, you physically have to walk out of the room & not see what you're seeing.
- •When Jenna Bush interviewed Pharrell Williams and called the movie "Hidden Fences" instead of the actual title, "Hidden Figures".I watched this interview live and knew as soon as she said it, she fucked up. Jenna's, Darth Vader-like grip of Pharrell's shoulder. The expression on his face, after she called the movie "Hidden Fences" and the fact that she completely ignored his producing partner, who was also on the red carpet, made it for the very first cringe inducing moment of 2017. It was a blip and I think Pharrell handled it well. Girlfriend needs to do her hmwk next time and maybe not be so tactile, it was too much.
- •When Jimmy Fallon got on stage and the Teleprompter went offThe intro was so amazing. I love a good musical number and he killed it with the LaLa Land parody, including cameos by Nicole Kidman, Amy Adams, Tina Fey and his BFF, JT. It was happy and fun, and started the show off with a bang...and then he got onstage and the TelePrompTer went off. Poor Jimmy. He was flustered, but sort of salvaged it with "this is your first moment of the gg's right here" line. Was this his karma for interviewing trump? In this moment, I yearned for Amy and Tina.
- •Tom Hiddleston's speechWtf was that? He's such a funny, affable, charming guy, that that speech seemed out of character and strange. As soon as he started talking about how he "does a little work with the South Sudan" I muted it. I knew it got progressively worse, when the audience camera panned to Vince Vaughn, Naomi Harris and Christian Slater and the expression on their faces all said the same thing, which was "Dude, where are you going with this speech". It was bad. Watch his impression of Graham Norton to redeem.
- •Vince Vaughn's expression the entire timeIs it just me or did he look like he wanted to murder someone? During Tom Hiddleston's speech, okay yes. But even during Meryl's speech, he looked furious. Same with Mel Gibson, but I wouldn't expect anything less from him..gross.
- •Goldie Hawn and Amy Schumer's IntroWas that a bit?