WHAT I LEARNED IN COUPLES THERAPY
- •couples therapy isn't meant to end fights, but to better equip you to fight fair.
- •licensed clinical social workers charge just as much as psychologists.
- •couples therapy can bond you.subject of our sessions aside, my boyfriend and i loved our therapist. at dinner on our third anniversary i said, "don't you kind of wish sara was here with us?"
- •"i know, i'm sorry" will end any argument.just don't follow it with a "but"
- •arguing about whether or not you're going to send your future kids to catholic school is a waste of your $100/hour.
- •there is nothing like a good cry every thursday at 8am before work.i'm estimating 30% of what we paid for therapy went toward tissues.
- •almost more than finding a resolution, i wanted our therapist on my side.and she was, which was satisfying. though it would have been more satisfying if my boyfriend heard my needs when i asked the first time, not just when it was 2 to 1.
- •empathy is the key to all relationships.
- •couples therapy can't save everyone.especially not when one of you is an untrustworthy, overly-critical bully who projects all his irrational insecurities onto the person closest to him.