Already on li.st? Open in app.
Tulip Time is happening in Holland, Michigan next week. We were technically a little early, but we had people here visiting, so we had to go anyway!
I love, love, love poetry...and April is National Poetry Month! Here are some of the things I do to get more poetry in my life.
- •Keep a book of poetry on your nightstand, and read one poem right before bed or right when waking up.Pick a short one!
- •Subscribe to The Writer's Almanac PodcastEvery day, Garrison Keiler shares important things that happened on that date in history (including notable birthdays). Then, he reads a poem. Always about 5 minutes start to finish. Perfect for your commute or while waiting for your coffee to brew.
- •Subscribe to the Poem-a-Day emails from Poetry.com
- •Download the Poetry.com app.There's a cool feature where it "spins" a wheel of categories and gives you a random poem.
Inspired by @amieshmamie and my son's recent cold
- •Popping a perfect bag of popcorn
- •Making a budgetActually, I'm good at MAKING budgets. It's KEEPING a budget I have trouble with
- •Accurately keeping score in a board game
April is National Poetry Month, and I'm listing a poem every Sunday to celebrate. See last week's poem here: https://li.st/l/7T6X4StTh495lb3TvKIYyB
- •"490" from Haiku: This Other World by Richard Wright
- •Waking from a nap
- •And hearing summer rain falling,—
- •What else has happened?
Inspired by @DG
- •My student ID number from elementary-high school
- •My old cell phone number
- •The address of the house I grew up in
In honor of opening day! Go Braves! (Sadly, no tomahawk emoji!)
- •Watching the Braves on TBS.My mom grew up a baseball fan in NY. Then she moved to FL and the Braves were the only team on tv. In my memory, it feels like we were watching the Braves on TBS almost every night. It was the golden years: Bobby Cox, Maddox, Glavine, Smoltz, Javy Lopez, Chipper, Andruw Jones...etc etc.
- •Seeing Wade Boggs get his 3,000th hit.My sister, dad, and I went to 3 Devil Rays games in a row so that we wouldn't miss it.
- •Braves spring training with Evan.Despite growing up a Braves fan, I had never seen them play live and in person. When Evan and I started dating, he took me to a spring training game. (Let's get sappy: that was also the first day he told me he loved me.)
April is National Poetry month! 🎉 I'm going to list a poem every Sunday to celebrate.
- •"At the Café" by Patricia Kirkpatrick
- •I must look like I'm confident,
- •white cup for tea on the table before me,
Done with the first quarter of the year. (What?!??) it's been a slower start than I'd like, but we did have a baby in November so I'm letting it go. I was also in a bit of a book hangover after All the Light. Here's what I read.
- 1.The Martian by Andy WeirNot my favorite book ever. I skimmed a lot of the math/potato heavy passages. But towards the end I couldn't put it down. I had goosebumps.
- 2.The Memoir Project by Marion Roach Smith 😍Perhaps my favorite book on writing. (Of the ones I've read, anyway.) Both practical and inspiring.
- 3.Nobody's Cuter than You by Melanie ShankleShort, sweet, and funny. I recommend Melanie's memoirs to anyone looking for something heartwarming and humorous, though I will say this one wasn't as funny as her first 2.
Every month on my blog, I like to recap some of the things I've learned and been reminded of. Sometimes serious, sometimes shallow. https://lindseylearns.wordpress.com/2016/03/31/what-i-learned-march-2016/
- •Stick with what works.If Princess Kate can wear the same 7 things all the time, then so can I. http://www.elle.com/fashion/celebrity-style/g27990/kate-middleton-style-formula/
- •I mix up flower species.I was calling crocuses tulips, and hyacinths lilacs. (This photo is of the crocuses that randomly popped up in our backyard!)
- •The West Wing is just as good the 3rd time around.
Inspired by @LizDawson. I don't meant to brag, but...
- •The Little Free LibraryTwo doors down, my neighbors have a Little Free Library in the front yard. It brings me so much joy.
- •Friday playgroupThat same neighbor 2 doors downs (YES, best neighbor ever, no question) hosts Friday morning playgroup for all the neighborhood kids. When we moved here without knowing a soul, I was SO, so grateful for this. I still am.
- •Two parksWe are a 5 minute walk from two different parks. One has lots of green space, a walking trail, disc golf, and a view of the river. The other has a track, playground, and public pool.