REASONS YOU SHOULD VOLUNTEER 📂
I was writing this and then it felt pretentious, then didn't, then did, there were several moments of mental flip-flopping on it so I stowed it away in my draft folder. But it's draft week so here it is.
- •It makes you feel good.If for no other reason, you should volunteer because you'll feel great after! After I volunteer I pat myself on the back, give myself a high-five, and treat myself to a big old ice cream sundae. Society tells me I've earned it, and who am I to disagree? Mainly, I think it makes you feel good because you're actively giving back a little something to the community. And you know what? You're allowed to feel great about that! You fucking should: virtual high fives to all the volunteers out there!
- •We're all one big community.This is some "we are the world" stuff right here, but that doesn't make it untrue. We're all interconnected, and by helping feed the homeless, tutor kids, plant gardens, clean some garbage, you're helping the larger community. You're making it a better social unit to be a part of.
- •You can meet cool people.You can meet some people who are also into petting bunnies, or walking dogs, or cleaning up beach garbage because littering is their pet peeve. You can also meet some real opinionated douches (you can meet douches anywhere: it's part of life)
- •It makes you more gratefulLife could be worse. Sometimes it takes working with people who have it much worse than you to realize it.
- •You can learn new things.I've been learning more about our education system in LA by working with young children. I've also been learning about comic books, video games, and cartoons so I'm pretty relevant with the 8-12 demographic.
- •In the words of Amy Poehler, "There are so many people in the world with so little. Who cares why you decide to help?"if America's sweetheart is into volunteering, do you really need any other reason to do it? *peer pressure*