DELICIOUS THINGS TO BUY AT ZABAR'S
Zabar's is a purveyor of epicurean delights, especially smoked fish and other Jewish food at 80th and Broadway in NYC. I go almost every week. This is in order of encountering them assuming you start at the entrance and work your way north.
- •Olives and large beans from the olive bar by the entrance.
- •Fig spread above the olive bar.
- •Fresh OJ and grapefruit juice.
- •Whatever cheese is on sale. But I especially love raclette and Camembert. Sometimes they sell a bag of odds and ends for super cheap.
- •Rafetto's pasta.
- •Ronnybrook eggnog. (Seasonal.)
- •Whitefish pate.
- •Smoked oysters.
- •Smoked salmon.
- •Smoked trout. They often give samples.
- •Chocolate. They often have great sales. I am particularly fond of Perugina.
- •Chocolate babka. Labeled as Zabar's, but technically made by Green's.
- •Fresh chocolate rugelah from behind the counter. Also the pecan bars and brownies.
- •Country round (sliced) or cinnamon bagel from the bread counter.
- •Mountain Fruit Co.'s Rhubarb & Berry jam. Great with plain yogurt.
- •Edmond Fallot walnut Dijon mustard.
- •Whatever fancy olive oil is on sale.