MATERIAL OBJECTS WHOSE LOSS I STILL MOURN
Stuff that has been stolen or broken or otherwise just lost over the years. This list is by no means complete.
- •Books.So many awesome books have been lost thanks to my need to have people know me through the stuff I've read. Terence McKenna, Jack Kerouac... mostly (but not always) books I can buy again. I miss my copies, though.
- •Best ceramic mug.Thrifted for 50 cents. Hand-thrown and really beautiful. I cried when it broke. It's just a thing, said a friend, but it came at a time where I craved stability and something I loved breaking set me on edge.
- •Duralex bowls.I had a set of 10 clear glass mixing bowls, thrifted for a dollar. I loved them. One night they jumped off the shelf they were on and crashed to the floor; the smallest 5 survived. Good for small bits, but not much else. I know I can buy a full set for $30. I haven't.
- •Spelling bee trophy.I came in 2nd at the regional spelling bee in 4th grade. A golden bee sat atop the trophy I was awarded. I have no idea what happened to it.
- •Several issues of The Face and I-D from the early 90s.OK, I admit none of these were stolen or lost. Some I gave to my kid for inspiration, others I sold on eBay during a rough period.