All of the Plants I Put in My Smoothie
I eat a smoothie 1-3 times a day and I really love them. People ask me what I put in them, so here you are! And yes, 1 Liz certified smoothie contains all of these things.
- •SpinachMake sure it is organic so we don't eat roundup pesticides 😝 I add a lot of spinach. All of the spinach I can shove in to my nutribullet. All of it.
- •Avocado"An avocado. Thaaaaaaaaanks" - my favorite vine. Anyways, avocados make things creamy and smooth 😎 they are the cool kids of the plant crew. I add about 1/4 of a large one. They are full of good fat we need to jump start our metabolism.
- •Bananas 🍌Bananas also make things creamy and smooth 😎 there is a lot of sugar in them so I just use 1/2 of a frozen one (bc froze bananas have the consistency of ice cream 🍦).
- •BlueberriesI use about 1/4 of cup of frozen WILD blueberries for those antioxidants. They're also a great sweetener. Please notice that I don't use a lot of fruit... Because it's not necessary! Too much sugar! Focus on the greens!
- •Coconut FlakesCoconut flakes (unsweetened) add a yummy crunch to your smoothie. I use around a tablespoon usually.
- •Cacao NibsRaw cacao nibs!! They're awesome! One of the many treasures from the rainforest (so make sure the ones you buy are sustainably sourced). These lil nibs are packed with magnesium and make your smoothie chocolatey without the added sugar. I use 1 tbsp.
- •CashewsAnother treasure from the rainforest. Cashews are one of the healthiest nuts for you and are packed with good fat to keep you full and keep your metabolism going. I use 1-2tbsp of cashews in my smoothie.
- •Plant-Based ProteinThis is a must. I'm always trying to gain muscle mass so I take a lot of plant-based protein. I've skipped around from Vega to Raw Fit, and Plant Fusion is my favorite for right now. There is 21g of protein and a few grams of sugar... And it actually is the best tasting plant protein powder I've had.
- •Powdered Peanut ButterI like peanut-flavored things but I try to stay away from the peanut oil that's found in peanut butter so I LOVE powdered peanuts. All of the protein and none of that fat. I like this brand because it's the most protein, lowest sugar, and actually super cheap. I use 2 heaping tbsp
- •GingerI love ginger. Ginger ginger ginger. It's one of my favorite flavors. I also have an upset stomach and ginger helps make me feel better, so I add 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp per smoothie
- •TumericIf you haven't added turmeric to your daily diet you're doing it wrong. Turmeric is one of those weird things that actually fixes everything (I recently learned about turmeric steaming). Add 1/2tsp to 1 tsp for its crazy powerful anti-inflammatory properties (and to prevent Alzheimer's)
- •VanillaI add a little vanilla so my smoothie smells like cake even though it's just plants
- •Chameleon Cold BrewI need caffeine. We all have our weaknesses. And this is mine. Adding cold brew makes everything taste extra dark chocolatey for some magical reason and it's great. If you're out ordering a smoothie ask to get a shot of espresso in it. That's living.
- •Unsweetened Cashew MilkThis is my base (besides the cold brew). It's unsweetened so no added sugar... I like cashew milk better than almond milk bc it makes things creamier.
- •SpirulinaLast but not least... Spirulina. What some experts refer to as the healthiest food on the planet. It's packed with protein and vitamins and nutrients and your body is jumping with joy every time you eat it. Yes it tastes like algae because it is but it's time to GROW UP and eat something that doesn't taste like a frappacino. Eat your damn spirulina- your body needs it.
- •This is what all looks like before it's blended!Isn't it beautiful 😌