What It's Like to Not Have a Best Friend
Though I used the secondary tense this list is based on my experience, which I realize is not universal to all humans without a BFF. I do want your own bestie-less pros and cons!
- •It feels like EVERYONE ELSE refers to their "best friend" in conversations.And you wonder about the process behind bestowing one person with this title.
- •You can skip a lot of Buzzfeed content aimed at BFFs."Can we guess which Disney Princess is like your BFF?" ... The answer is Bing Bong, because he's imaginary.
- •At some point you just wanted one so you could have a Best Friends necklace.
- •You've had a lot of people you hoped would become that platonic other half, but didn't. I call this a best friend crush.When for whatever reason you stopped becoming closer, it was a big disappointment.
- •You are able to move to new places and start new phases of life without feeling tied down to report everything to one person you 'left.'Example: you started college looking forward to making new friends, not wasting energy updating someone thousands of miles away.
- •You have several really close friends from different parts of your life.If they put together each of their pieces of the golden amulets, all of your secrets would be known.
- •You wonder how someone is like "We've been best friends since childhood" because people change as they grow up!
- •You feel like maybe there's something wrong with you.
- •You realize there's nothing wrong with you.Because like a couple, best friends can be kind of showy. And you can have more varied forms of friendship than just one intense friendship.
- •You maybe went through a friend break up at some point.You are stronger because of it. You are understanding of others who had to end close/best friendships for their own reasons, and will give them support because it's okay.
- •You've joked in conversation that your pet is your best friend.
- •You name a family member/SO/etc as your "I guess" BFF, not sure if they count.As in "I guess my mom is my closest friend."
- •You get jealous of fictional best friends in tv/movies/books.
- •You sometimes need to remember you are your own best friend.