Why Thanksgiving Is an Overrated Holiday
Gobble gobble 🦃
- •TravelSo many people spend half the holiday in traffic.
- •FamilyWhen I have spent the holiday with extended family it's SO stressful and overwhelming.
- •FootballI'm in a fantasy football tournament this year at work, because who can resist the lure of a Target gift card, and when I do watch a football game there is so much start-and-stop and so many career ending injuries each game. I am always flinching.
- •TurkeyWho gets excited for eating turkey? When cooked right it's just okay, like chicken. When cooked badly, it's dry.
- •Cooking a big mealCooking is so stressful, let alone coordinating all the "required" courses of a Thanksgiving meal so they come out cooked right at the same time.
- •Macy's ParadeI would get up to watch it just for the Broadway performances, but they're lip sync'ed so weirdly. Everyone in the parade is shivering. I dunno. Meh.
- •Black FridayI love shopping and gift giving / getting as much as (if not more than) the next person, but there's something so ugly about camping out early and fighting for deals and making aggressive spending a tradition out of what is supposed to be a humble holiday about gratitude. Also I worked retail so I know how rude people are to employees.
- •RacismI get really angry when I think about how we rewrote the narrative of how our European ancestors destroyed the lives and cultures of the native Americans. It's still not a sensitive subject either. The name of the Washington DC football team is an offensive disgrace. I'm not being holier than thou with this, please be frustrated with me.
- •Not enough time offI barely relax and then it's back to the daily grind.
- •PieCake is better. End of story.