Well-meaning Things People Say When You Have an Autoimmune Disease
(that they honestly shouldn't)
- •You don't look sick!I appreciate that. I do. But here's the thing - I am. Some days it takes all of my willpower to get out of bed. Some days I put on makeup and do my hair to make myself feel better about the general lack of control I have over this situation. I just try to roll with it.
- •Have you tried [ ...]Acupuncture, meditation, giving up gluten, whatever. Yes, I probably have. I do some of these things. And no, that's not the issue. It might help on the margins, but my body is literally attacking itself.
- •Are you stressed?Well, yes and no. I mean, I run a show, try to be good to my staff and also take care of myself in a high-pressure environment. But did stress cause this? Big no.
- •Maybe get some rest?You should remove yourself from my punching radius.
- •It's all about positive attitude!A) please see above B) every person I know who manages a chronic disease is a friggin soldier, with empathy and humor to boot.