HOW MY 22ND BIRTHDAY IS DIFFERENT FROM MY 21ST
- •The big one: 21 is important while 22 means nothing.21 felt like liberation from a prison of risk, where the very act of drinking was a rebellion against law and order. At 21, I could finally be the adult I had felt like for years. I could order wine with dinner, be legally admitted to bars and clubs, and buy alcohol from the liquor store like a full fledged person.
- •Because 22 means nothing, I'm not super jazzed for this birthday.I like presents and I like celebrations but I don't feel really emotionally invested in this birthday. If I could reschedule it, I would. It's frankly not a great time. Which brings me to the next point.
- •When I turned 21, I was just looking forward to the end of the semester. I had a summer internship lined up and I was studying abroad that fall. When I turn 22, I will only be thinking about how I graduate college in a month and need to finish writing my damn thesis.I need to pass every class I'm in to graduate and I've already bought the cap and gown, so the stakes are high. I do not have a job lined up, and I'm moving home in June. Basically, this time around I have more responsibilities and less to look forward to.
- •One thing I do have to look forward to with turning 22: not blacking out and being so embarrassed by my behavior that I spend the entire next day in bed with my phone turned off.This happened when I turned 21. Karaoke and multiple types of alcohol were involved. I was so anxious about how I had acted that I had to call a friend to convince me that my other friends who had been there that night didn't hate me. NEVER AGAIN. Like a fine wine, I have matured with age and will not be going crazy this year.
- •Last year, Beyoncé did not have a major premiere event the night of my birthday.I get it, acquaintances. I have a birthday every year but Beyoncé's Lemonade only premieres once.
- •How they're exactly the same: people still don't know that Earth Day is April 22. Telling people that my birthday is the day after Earth Day is still useless.PS—what I really wanted was a GIF of Greenzo from 30 Rock but I couldn't find a good one, so here's a German Shepherd recycling.