BEST TOPICS FROM PAGE 1 OF A TECHNICAL INTERNET FORUM
And what I learned. Stack Exchange.
- •Should I run if I see wild dogs?I went from cackling at the topic name to terrified by the answers. Consensus: no, don't run. Act bored until they aren't interested in you. And don't "act like food."
- •What is a verb that means "to make a small amount of money last for several days"?Been there. Highest voted answer was the phrasal verb "eke out."
- •The time after some timeProgramming competition. Impressive actually.
- •How to quiet noisy undergrad students during lectureTell 'em to shut up.
- •How can I get my DeLorean to 88 miles per hour without a train?In-universe style Back to the Future III problem. Top voted answer: attach the car to one end of a centrifuge, have oxen pull at the center, converting strength to speed.
- •Is using swear words for emphasis acceptable in an interview?Nope.
- •Why didn't they make the dinosaurs all male?I loled before I realized Jurassic Park. Answer: one less step in the cloning process. "All vertebrate embryos are inherently female anyway, they just require an extra hormone given at the right developmental stage to make them male. We simply deny them that." — guy from the movie
- •How come we can hear a choir?The question was asking about sound waves interfering with each other and why they don't cancel out. Answer: the human voice is too rich a timbre for synchronized frequencies to beat or cancel. Maybe it could happen with a sine wave choir.
- •Place at home where the deities are keptWord request. Top voted answer was "shrine," or even better, "personal shrine" or "household shrine."