THAT TIME THERE WAS A PHOTO OF ME DOING A TEQUILA SHOT IN THE NEW YORK TIMES 😎
Inspired by @ListPrompts
- •January 2006. I flew to Austin for a job interview. My boss in Chicago didn't know I was interviewing, let alone left the city.
- •My best friend had just won a house in Austin on a reality show, but the show never aired. There was a lot of controversy about it.
- •After my interview, my friend picked me up and said we were also picking up a reporter who wanted to do a story on my friends and the vast right-wing conspiracy that kept Disney from airing the show.**my words, or maybe my friends's, but in any event, not those of the reporter.
- •We got the reporter, turns out he was writing for the NYT. I was in awe.Back in 2006, real actual honest to goodness newspapers still meant something.
- •His photographer met us at the newly-won house.
- •The reporter spent a couple hours interviewing my friends, their new neighbors, and hanging out with us (we're fun)
- •Right before they were finished, we decided to all have a shot (or two) of tequila together (because Texas).
- •The photographer positioned us to get the photo. Just then I stopped. Wait! My boss reads the NYT everyday, she doesn't know I'm here.
- •He repositioned us.
- •And that's how a photo of my wrist, while I was doing a shot of tequila, ended up in the NYT!
- •Story starts on page 1 below the fold.
- •I'm famous!