STORY ABOUT SPAGHETTI
A first grade tale...
- •Once when I was in first grade a girl asked me what I had for dinner last night
- •Before answering her I thought about it and remembered that I had spaghetti and meatballs
- •However I wasn't sure if spaghetti was a normal food or if other families generally ate itBoy was I wrong about that
- •I got so scared that if I said spaghetti and meatballs she would give me a puzzled look and say "what the heck is that?"I literally was so afraid of looking stupid that I convinced myself that no other families in the world ate spaghetti except my freak family. Isn't it frightening that as a kid I had this much social anxiety and fear of not being like everyone else?
- •So I lied to her and said that I had chickenA food that first grade me knew other people had!
- •She replied that she had pastaPasta isn't necessarily spaghetti obviously but her saying that made me realize that spaghetti was in fact a normal food.
- •And I realized that I had panicked and doubted myself for no reason
- •This fear of people's reactions and fear of being an outcast is still apart of me but to a much lesser extent
- •The older I got the more I realized that being an individual and being weird are essential to living an interesting life