THE FIVE MOVIES I'VE ONLY PARTIALLY WATCHED IN THE PAST WEEK
- 1.Reds, 1981, Warren BeattyI still can't believe that Hollywood once made a three-hour epic about the heroes of American socialism. Beatty as Jack Reed: comic, spacey, sincere rather Hemingway-heroic. Diane Keaton: irritable, insecure, radical. Edward Hermann: well, someone on RogerEbert.com wrote a whole essay about his small, understanding smile in this movie. Nicholson as Eugene O'Neill: he doesn't have a line until his third scene and he was never better looking. Melancholy, alcoholism, mustaches and linen suited him.
- 2.Carnal Knowledge, 1971, Mike NicholsMy favorite Nichols movie after "Working Girl" and the greatest argument for misandry in film. God, fuck Art Garfunkel.
- 3.Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1, 2014, Francis LawrenceMaybe I finished this one? It was joyless, claustrophobic, kind of amazing, almost as political as "Reds." I kept just wanting Philip Seymour Hoffman to come back on screen and then when he did I felt terrible.
- 4.Beverly Hills Cop, 1984, Martin BrestAll the early Eddie Murphy movies remain revelatory. I watched part of it at the gym, on my phone, and every thing about it worked like a pop song--both so natural and hyper real.
- 5.Fast & Furious 6, 2013, Justin LinI really wanted to watch either Fast Five or Furious 7. But this was on HBO so I split the difference.